Bzz..bzz.. My first experience of eating honey made by Ann-Marie Eve, came only hours after being stung in five places by the bees who made it. It may sound odd, but I felt closer to the bees and the honey tasted just as sweet.
Ann-Marie moved out of London to her cottage in Bray six years ago and has been producing honey from wooden hives at the end of her garden ever since. After being visited by Alain Roux, her 20 hives now supply The Waterside Inn with honey for it’s best dishes. Not bad for a self-taught beekeeper who learnt through reading books, eh?
Ann-Marie has handpicked a few of her favourite honey recipes for you to try, see below..
Honey board barbecue Sauce
( National US honey board in the late 1980′s)
• I can(440ml)condensed tomato soup
• 170g honey
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2-3 tablespoons salad oil
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• Dash Cayenne or bottled hot pepper sauce
• In a saucepan combine all of the ingredients and bring to the boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 mins.
• Use as a barbecue sauce on the grill, being careful not to burn it ( don’t apply too early!). This is also good as a dipping sauce.
Sweet Autumn Bread
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 235ml buttermilk
• 230g sour cream
• 40g ( about 2 tablespoons) honey
• 2 eggs
• 62g butternut or acorn squash- mashed
• 275g cornmeal
• Pinch salt
• 1-2 teaspoons butter
• Preheat oven 350f , 180c.
• In a small bowl stir the baking soda into the buttermilk to dissolve. Add the sour cream and then the honey, slowly.
• In a medium bowl. Beat eggs add squash, cornmeal, salt and buttermilk mixture.
• Grease a 9″ loaf tin with the butter. Cook mix for 35 to 40 mins.
Honey Currant Muffins
• 4oz butter
• 3 tablespoons Honey
• 1 Egg
• 4oz Currants
• 8 oz Plain Flour
• 2 level teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup of milk
• Cream the butter, add the honey and mix well. Add the egg gradually and beat well. Stir in the currants, then the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the milk.
• Transfer the mixture to two thirds fill the greases muffin tins.
• Bake for 15 – 20 mins in a moderate oven.